Muchachos

The craze of Mexican food in Singapore might not have started. The few Mexican restaurants around the island are all fine Mexican cuisine with skyrocket prices. Muchacos, on the other hand, is the first restaurant to introduce Mexican counter style dining. It was opened in June 2013, and strategically located along Keong Saik Road, where people can get a quick bite after drink. 

It was a Sunday night when my friend and I patroned Muchachos after I was terribly craving for burritos. I was uberly excited to try it due to the high reviews. Upon entering, I got the feeling that Muchachos is a Singaporean version of Chipotlè, the burrito chain all across USA owned by McDonald's. The ceiling was cleverly decorated with hanging lightbulbs. 


The bar for preparing burrito-to-order
Pretty yet creative ceiling decoration
A bar that prepares burrito-to-order is on the right (yes, imagine Subway). 

  1. You can choose the size: Burrito ($12 for 12-inch) or Burritino ($10 for 10-inch).
  2. Next, you got to choose the carbs: Rice (texas long grain tossed with cilantro and lime), Black Beans (simmered  with avocado leaves), Pinto Beans (mashed and fried in bacon fat).
  3. The proteins: Pollo Asado (chicken thigh grilled over an open flame), Carne Asada (skirt steak seared medium rare), Carnitas (pork butt slow cooked in lard), Barbacoa (oven braised lamb shoulder), Pescado (deep-fried battered whitefish fillet).
  4. Fats: Sourcream, Chesee (+$1), Guacamole (pronounced goo-ah-ka-mo-lay) (+$2).
  5. Salsa: Pico de Gallo (pronounced pee-ko day ga-yow) (the mildest salsa - tomato, white onion, jalapeno pepper), Salsa Verde (medium salsa - tomatillo, garlic, serrano pepper), Salsa de Pina (hot salsa - pineapple, red onion, habanero pepper).


My burritino being prepared

I got a Burritino with rice, black beans, carnitas (pork), salsa verde, pico de gallo, cheese, and guacamole.


The inside of my burritino

As I am a burrito lover, and having tasted various burritos from the chain Chipotlè or authentic Mexican restautants, I would say that I did not really love the burrito Muchachos prepared. The pork did not taste like carnitas, but more like a Chinese stir fry. Worst, the salsa was not strong at all. I nearly couldn't taste the salsa.

Will I come back to Muchachos? Maybe no. But afterall, perhaps the taste has been catered to better suit local Singaporean palate. 



Muchachos

22 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089129

+65 6220 0458

My Rating: 1.5/5


0 comments:

Post a Comment