Five and Dime

After I had a fantastic brunch at Five and Dime café last year (read about my previous visit here), I always wanted to return for more. I have then nominated Five and Dime as my favorite neighborhood café in Singapore. The restaurant feels cozy and homy, although small in size. It is decorated elegantly and minimalistically. Apart from that, the most important factor is that the food is definitely fabulous!

My friend whom I dined with earlier in Five and Dime decided that we should return for dinner on a Saturday. We made a reservation but it was full, so we were given seats at the bar (again). But luckily enough, this time round a table was available and we were transferred before we started our meals. 

I ordered the Braised Pork Belly ($22) and my friend ordered the Fish and Chips ($20).  

Braised pork belly: black berkshire pork slow-cooked for 6 hours, warm cha soba


My Braised Pork Belly consisted of a slice of black Berkshire pork slow cooked for over 6 hours served atop warm cha soba. The pork belly was a melt-in-your-mouth heaven on earth. The pork was so tender and juicy, and the fat was rendered to perfection. Best of all, the braising sauce was very delicious. It gave me a familiar taste that I could not remember of what. To describe it in words, the sauce has a combination of salt, sweet, and umami. It might even be the best braised pork belly I've eaten recently. Creativity certainly kicked in this dish as the pork was served with soba. The soba reduced the fattyness from the meat, but a tinge of acid sauce for the soba could be added to clear out more of the fattyness. 

Fish and chips: battered shark catfish fillet, hand-cut fries
While I was extremely pleased with my pork belly, my friend was disappointed with her Fish and Chips. The fish was way too oily, if not drenched in oil. And to me, they have "lost" the fish taste. I liked the chips, but still they could be less oily. Nonetheless I thought the presentation of the dish was great. 

Nutty monkey milkshake and golden custard lava cake
My friend and I both love the milkshake, but knew that a glass is too calorific for each. So we decided to share a Nutty Monkey Milkshake, which was a banana and peanut butter milkshake. The milkshake indeed was superb!

Golden custard lava cake

As usual, there is always room for dessert - I have been eyeing the Golden Custard Lava Cake Five & Dime posted in their instagram. We gave it a try. Sadly I think I put too high of an expectation towards this dish, so when we digged in, it tasted just like an ordinary lava cake - which of course wasn't something bad, but just not special enough. 

The dining room

Bar collections

Sweets


Sleek, old school decos


At the end of our meal, we were really full, and I was pleased with my dinner experience at Five & Dime. I will definitely return again for more!

Five & Dime Eatery

297 River Valley Road, Singapore 238338
+65 9236 5002

My Rating: 5/5


1 comments: